The Loudoun County Department of Economic Development has put together this guide for entrepreneurs getting ready to start a business. Click on the links below to learn more about specific topics. This is intended as a general guide only; actual steps may vary on a case-by-case basis. Have a specific question for a county department? Contact our Business Assistance Team!
- Validate your idea by identifying similar products/services, potential customers, and by receiving feedback.
- Identify resources to help you plan, launch and grow (such as small business agencies and organizations).
- Write a business plan as your roadmap for success. Consider the foundations of your company, such as the business structure and financial needs, along with the future of your business, such as projected revenue, exit plan, etc.
- Does your industry require any special permits or licenses?
- Learn about your local, state, and federal tax responsibilities.
- Complete any requirements for your selected business structure.
- Register “Doing Business As” name at Circuit Court–required only if you are not incorporating, or need a secondary name.
- Apply for Employer Identification Number with the IRS (not required for sole proprietors, but recommended).
- Find your location and conform with local zoning regulations prior to purchasing or signing a lease.
- Obtain a local business license and register for local business taxes. Confirm with your local jurisdiction(county, town, city) where you need to register.
- Apply for any additional registrations that may be required: