Business & Industry Data
Loudoun County’s industry targets are in information and communications technology; federal government contractors; data centers; aerospace, aviation and transportation; health information and analytics; agriculture, and now, a new cluster identified as retail, entertainment and culture*. In fact:
- Data centers occupy more than 9 million square feet in the county
- The data center industry has grown over 181% since the year 2000
- The State of Virginia has the #2 highest concentration of technology workers in the nation according to Cyberstates 2015.
- Up to 70% of the world’s internet traffic passes through Loudoun County on a daily basis
- Information and communications technology is the largest industry cluster in Loudoun County, which employs 23,000 people and represents 15% of Loudoun’s private employment
- More than 900 federal government prime contractors call Loudoun County home
- Nearly $100 million is invested each year in biomedical research through Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Janelia Farm Research Campus, located in Loudoun
- Loudoun is also home to nearly 1,400 farms, totaling 142,000+ acres
Loudoun’s industries are targeted based on strategic advantages that we provide, including workforce, infrastructure and available real estate.
*Loudoun’s retail, entertainment and culture study was released in January 2016. If you have questions about information in the 291-page report, please contact Business Development Officer Rick Morris.