Business & Industry Data
Loudoun County’s industry targets are in information and communications technology; federal government contractors; data centers; aerospace, aviation and transportation; health information and analytics; and agriculture. In fact:
- Data centers occupy nearly 10 million square feet currently in operation and another 3 million square feet being planned or developed in the county;
- The State of Virginia has the second highest concentration of technology workers in the nation, according to Cyberstates 2018;
- More than 70 percent of the world’s internet traffic passes through Loudoun County on a daily basis;
- Information and communications technology is the largest industry cluster in Loudoun County, which employs 23,000 people and represents 15 percent of Loudoun’s private employment;
- More than 900 federal government prime contractors call Loudoun County home;
- Nearly $100 million is invested each year in biomedical research through Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Janelia Research Campus, located in Loudoun;
- Loudoun is also home to nearly 1,400 farms, totaling more than 135,000 acres.
Loudoun’s industries are targeted based on strategic advantages that we provide, including workforce, infrastructure and available real estate.