Business & Industry Data
Loudoun County’s industry targets are in information and communications technology; federal government contractors; data centers; aerospace, aviation and transportation; health information and analytics; and agriculture. In fact:
- Data centers occupy more than 25 million square feet in operation, with another 4 million in development;
- There has not been a single day without data center construction in Loudoun in more than 13 years;
- The State of Virginia has the second highest concentration of technology workers in the nation, according to Cyberstates 2018;
- Information and communications technology is the largest industry cluster in Loudoun County, which employs 23,000 people and represents 15 percent of Loudoun’s private employment;
- More than 900 federal government prime contractors call Loudoun County home;
- Nearly $100 million is invested each year in biomedical research through Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Janelia Research Campus, located in Loudoun;
- Loudoun is also home to nearly 1,400 farms, totaling more than 135,000 acres.
Loudoun’s industries are targeted based on strategic advantages that we provide, including workforce, infrastructure and available real estate.