Business Incentives & Financing
No amount of incentive can make a bad location good. Loudoun County, Virginia, offers tremendous opportunities for the right businesses to thrive. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, Loudoun is #3 in the nation for job growth, and the International Economic Development Council ranked Loudoun #1 in business investment for counties of its size.
Whether you’re starting, relocating or expanding a business in Loudoun, we’ve got the financial incentives and financing opportunities that set a foundation for your success. Explore available programs below:
- Loudoun County, Virginia Business Incentive Guidelines
- The Virginia Jobs Investment Program
- Sales and Use Tax Exemptions
- Commonwealth’s Opportunity Fund
- Loudoun Economic Development Authority
- State of Virginia Financing Programs
- Other Financial Opportunities
The Virginia Jobs Investment Program
Designed to support private-sector job creation, this incentive covers recruiting and training costs incurred during new job creation or technology upgrades and provides a variety of free recruiting and training services.
The New Jobs Program
This incentive is available to companies:
- Generating over 50 percent of their revenue outside Virginia
- Creating at least 25 new, full-time jobs in Virginia within the first year
- Making a new capital investment of $1 million or more
The Small Business New Jobs Program
Available to existing Virginia companies with 250 employees or fewer, this program requires recipients to:
- Create at least five new, full-time jobs within the first year
- Make a new capital investment of at least $100,000
- Pay a minimum entry-level wage of $10 per hour
Sales and Use Tax Exemptions
Available for data centers that invest $150 million or more, hire 50 or more employees, pay at least 1.5 times the average local wage, and enter into an MOU with the Virginia Economic Development Partnership. Colocation facilities can aggregate the capital investment and new job requirements among the data center owner and tenants. These exemptions extend to qualified data center equipment, including servers, routers, generators, chillers and other enabling hardware.
Commonwealth’s Opportunity Fund
This discretionary incentive is available to relocating and expanding companies and is awarded to localities on a local 100 percent matching basis. To be eligible for this program, a company must create at least 50 new jobs for which the average wage, excluding fringe benefits, is no less than Loudoun’s prevailing average wage.
State of Virginia Financing Programs
A variety of state financing programs are also available, including:
- Direct loans for fixed-asset purchases including land, buildings, and equipment.
- Loan guarantees and loan-loss insurance programs for small businesses, designed to reduce bank risks when providing small business loans.
- A Providing Access to Capital for Entrepreneurs program designed to fund minority-owned businesses.
- Direct loans and loan guarantees to fund tourism companies.
- Low-interest direct loans for necessary items for licensed child care centers and family-home providers.
- Low-interest, tax-exempt bond financing for small manufacturers and 501(c)(3) non-profits.
Other Financial Opportunities
In addition to incentives and loans, a variety of other opportunities are available to expanding or relocating businesses in Loudoun County, including:
- A competitive county tax structure.
- A Fast-Track Commercial Incentive Program, aimed toward targeted industries and projects, designed to improve plan review timelines and direct communication with key decision makers.
- The Loudoun County Business Assistance Team gives you coordinated, “no wrong door” service. This cross-departmental team helps simplify the permitting, licensing, mapping and zoning process for you.
Visit the Virginia Economic Development website to learn more.