Loudoun County invites candidates to apply to serve a two-year term on the Rural Economic Development Council. There are six openings on the 31-member council; four openings are currently held by members who have expressed an interest in reappointment, and two openings are currently vacant. Applications, resumes and letters of interest are due by close of business September 8, 2017.
The vacancies are in these categories: at-large; B&B/rural lodging establishment; horticulture; production agriculture; direct marketing, and professional services. Candidates who are appointed by the Board of Supervisors to serve on the REDC will begin their terms in January 2018.
The mission of the REDC is to promote the sustainable economic growth and vitality of Loudoun’s agricultural, horticultural, equine and other rural industries. The purposes of the REDC are to:
- Recommend to the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors a rural economic development strategy to carry out the recommendations contained in the Revised General Plan;
- Furnish information and provide recommendations to the board relative to programs and policies affecting the economic growth and development of rural Loudoun County;
- Review significant projects, policies and programs that effect rural economic development as determined by the board;
- Provide a forum through which agricultural industry and rural business sector leaders meet to exchange ideas and experiences relative to rural economic development practices and policies;
- Provide support and advice to the Department of Economic Development relative to rural economic development, marketing and promotional activities by public and private groups engaged in such activities throughout the county; and,
- Monitor and evaluate year-over-year changes in the rural economy as prepared by the Department of Economic Development.
Applicants must submit a letter of interest and a resume to the Office of the Board of Supervisors and to the Department of Economic Development via postal mail or email, and also submit an online standard application, by close of business September 8, 2017.
A nominating committee, appointed by the chairman of the REDC, will conduct application interviews as appropriate and will propose recommended nominees to the REDC. The REDC will deliver a final slate of nominees to the Board of Supervisors for appointment.
To learn more about the REDC, visit biz.loudoun.gov.