5 Facts to Know About Loudoun County’s Wine Industry

The rapid growth of Virginia’s vibrant wine industry has made it one of the fastest-growing agricultural sectors in the Commonwealth. Sales of Virginia wine hit a record high in fiscal-year 2016, with 6.6 million bottles sold, generating an economic impact of $1.37 billion.

Here are five statistics that illustrate how Loudoun County contributes to that success:

  1. 44 of Virginia’s 280 wineries (16 percent) are in Loudoun – the most of any county in the Commonwealth;
  2. Loudoun comprises just 1 percent of the land in Virginia, but our 738 acres of vines grow 19 percent of Virginia’s wine grapes;
  3. 1,387 tons of grapes were harvested in Loudoun last year;
  4. Loudoun County’s annual grape harvest is valued at more than $2 million;
  5. Loudoun County’s annual wine production is valued at $36 million.

And it isn’t quantity over quality. This February, The Barns at Hamilton Vineyards became Loudoun’s first overall winner in the 2017 Governor’s Cup Wine Competition:

Five Loudoun wines from three wineries were among the 23 gold medal awardees in the competition, beating out a field of 494 entries from 102 wineries. These are just a few of Loudoun’s latest U.S. and international wine awards.

This didn’t happen by accident. The Loudoun Department of Economic Development, along with the private sector, laid a foundation 20 years ago to grow Loudoun’s agriculture and rural economy. The county’s elected officials put money and staff behind it, and continue to support us to this day.

People ask us all the time, “How many wineries are enough wineries for Loudoun County?” We don’t know, because we’re not there yet. Every winery that we talk to says that they’re growing year over year and we’re adding new wineries year over year. That didn’t happen by accident. We’re planning for agriculture.

For any questions about bringing a wine or agriculture-related business to Loudoun County, call 1-800-LOUDOUN.

 

Join the discussion 9 Comments

  • Sophia S. says:

    Inside tip: when talking about “Loudoun” wine, you might want to post a picture of actual Loudoun grown wine, not Wild Boar which is an American wine.

    That’s the problem with these so-called Loudoun wineries, they’re not estate and they’re not honest about it. Just another bar in the countryside. Wish you writers would actually write about the true estate wineries who do grow and make their own local wine, rather than feature a winery like Stone Tower where the majority of their wine is grown 3000 miles away.

    • Betty Comerford says:

      Stone Tower actually is quite honest about the source of their wine. Bottles carrying the Wild Boar label are used with California grapes among others, and Stone Tower will be the label of their estate wine from grapes grown on 50 rolling acres. And, unless this photo was changed, it’s not Stone Tower… it is Hillsborough Vineyards…been to both wineries many times.

      • Brian Tinsman says:

        Yes, the photo was changed, but you’re also right that the Wild Boar carries a California sourced label. Thanks for supporting Loudoun’s wineries!

  • Brian Tinsman says:

    Sophie,
    So glad you are such a savvy wine buyer and show so much passion for locally grown grapes! Thanks for the feedback.

    Cheers!

  • Amanda says:

    I’ve lived in VA for 17 years and never tried VA Wine….Any Suggestions!?!?! I’m a Chardonnay gal!!

  • We’re so proud of the wine produced in Virginia, and in Loudoun County in particular. This region has put us on the map and made Virginia Wine Country a true destination for wine lovers all over the world!

    Congrats to The Barns at Hamilton Station for the great mention.

  • Sophia,
    We are one of those “so called Loudoun Wineries” that you say don’t grow their own grapes. For your information this harvest 98% of our grapes were estate grown and the other 2% were purchased from 2 miles away in Loudoun. We’re not alone as many of Loudouns wineries grow many of their own grapes, while some who don’t get all the bad press.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.